Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Thendral Vanthu Theendum Poathu


Recently, I met with a painter/ artist to help her with creating visual media exhibits for an upcoming intercultural festival in Dublin.
I was telling her how I had no clue of how to interpret modern art (or any painting for that matter) and didn't quite understand their language.


We then spoke about music and how I expressed fluently through music. That is when the connection struck me. If only I could find that missing link between music and painting- I know there is one since they both are expressions of the heart and mind- it would complete the puzzle.


This song is for my soul! It is perhaps one of the best duets ever from Ilayaraaja-SJ duo. Balaji was a natural choice- not because of the IR-like voice or his love for IR- but because he connects to the song exactly the same way as I do. The beauty of the song is the simplicity of the tune with no throat-wrecking sangathis. The feel of the song is just enough to make one forget oneself and get sucked in. The first 2 lines are alone 10 beats whereas everything else is 8 beats as usual. Of course, it is allowed of Maestros to take such liberty in breaking rules! :)


Its a beautiful idea to try and explain the Colours to a visually impaired girl. She can't connect to it visually but through her other senses and through the extra sense called Love. One of Nasser's and Revathi's best movies, I wasn't very impressed with it then. But now, I do understand and appreciate the beauty of this concept.


The sheer pleasure of doing the harmonies for this song is unmatched by anything yet. And to revisit the vocals each time Balaji's keen ears caught something very minute, was with a delerious effort to get the best out of us both! Of course, a very dear piece of work like this had to be mixed by one of the best people in here so we had to pester Balamurali again.


I have to mention about Balaji's stupendous performance here. I haven't seen a keener pair of ears than his to date. And he simply doesn't let you rest till a defect is sorted. I think this song is his best to date. But I know he is capable of greater things- this is just the beginning! :)


Movie :Avathaaram
Music: Isaignaani Ilayaraaja
Originally sung by : Ilayaraaja, S.Janaki
Harmonies: Adithi
Mixing :Balamurali Bala
Track Courtesy :Rajkumar Anjan/ Sanjay Satheesh


Thendral Vanthu Theendum- with Balaji Seetharaman | Musicians Available

No comments: