Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thiruppavai Series- Preamble

Marghazhi is my favourite Tamizh month! Where I grew up, winter wasn't as bitter as where I live now but compared with places like Chennai and other unfortunate cities, Hosur is a very cool town.

I still remember those foggy mornings when I would pay a hurried visit to my grandma's place near our house before scurrying off to school. I would enter shouting,"Paatti innikku enna(Thiruppavai)?". My grandma, also my Guru in music, would be very busy with some household chore but would stop for a second and say, "Thodi" or "Kalyani". She remembered the day's Thiruppavai by the Ragam rather than by the words. One of her Gods in this birth was MLV whom she wanted to do a concert with before breathing her last. She had listened to almost every single keerthanai of MLV's and learnt them all with nonchalant ease. It was from her that I had listened to all the 30 verses for the very first time in my life.

Ever since, Maarghazhi Maasa Thiruppavai has become a ritual to me. Although I have never woken up as early as is instructed in the songs themselves, I would see to it that the day's Thiruppavai was sung at some point during the day. Only recently, I happened to buy the original CD of MLV's rendition and started learning it more religiously.

This year, I have been at the height of musical activity and am now motivated to start this series. Each day, I hope to sing and post the relevant Thiruppavai, giving a brief information on the Ragam and lyrics where possible.

It is a daunting task as I look at it suddenly. What if I had to go out of station suddenty or what if I caught a cold....! But I am going to try my best and complete it to the best of my singing ability and ensure to post everyday.

This is the best I can do to get people interested in the forgotten treasures of Tamil literature or think of the Lord for a brief couple of minutes everyday or revel in the abundant nectar of Classical music. To me it a special combination of all of the above tied with the silken thread of fond memories from childhood of my beloved Paatti!!!

4 comments:

sukumar rajendran said...

amma than soooper amma paatti kooda sooper paatti than pola..

indha school college vazhkkai pathillam padicha enthan indha manasu emotional agutho therila..

soooper mttr correcta time ku pick pannirukkinga ji..

isaiyin theiveegathudan inaya kathirukiren..

i wish and pray you will complete this task with 101% success..

vazhga valamudan..

Anonymous said...

Believe me or not, I had this thought this morning but beyond a few pasurams, it would be a learning effort for me (as far as singing goes though I can recite it without a tune but no one would want to hear that :)). So, made veN pongal. Sang the first one, That was it from me. :) Glad to see you attempt this.

- Uthra

Anonymous said...

arambame amarkalam.karnatic music patri comment panra alavu isai arivu illadadhal nunukkama ellam ezudhi mattikka virumbale.ketka romba ramyama irundadhu.munnale ezhuthi irunda writeup romba touching agavum manasai thodumbadi irundhadu(personal aga idhil sambandha pattiruppadal)vazhthukkal.pasurangal muzumai aga pada 101% asigal(thanks to my son)

Meera Manohar said...

It was so so nice to read your write up, and definitely enlightened me on what and how Thiruppaavai is about :) So, thank you!!!

And I just heard a couple of yours, and looks like you sat in front of MLV and learnt it, not from the CD/cassette LOL

God bless you Adithi... for your ease of rendering songs, be it Vechukkavaaa, or a paasuram :-)