Friday, December 11, 2009

Remembering the Mahaakavi- Chinnanchiru Kiliye

December 11th marks the birth of Subramania Bharathi. I wanted to sing a song to commemorate the birth of this amazing man who took the entire Tamizh state by storm.

Born in a conservative Tamil Brahmin family in Tirunelveli in 1882, this man believed in freedom of the human kind! Freedom to live a life free from fears and inhibitions. He was probably born a hundred years too early. Such were his revolutionary and radical thoughts on subjects ranging from Romance to Patriotism.

I cannot think of one modern Tamizh poet or activist who does not admire or is influenced by the works of Bharathi. After seeing this post, even if a handful of you start looking for more info on Bharathi, I will consider it a success! :)

This song is from his famous “KaNNan PaadalgaL” which is a compilation of various songs and poems written, imagining Lord Krishna in various forms- as a lover, teacher, mother, son, daughter….the list goes on. The song is about Kannan as a little daughter….

With the month of Maargazhi approaching fast, my mind starts getting tuned to the exciting early mornings that begin with Thiruppaavai recitals in praise of Krishna. I consider this song a good preamble to the same! :)

The music for this song (Movie:MaNamagaL released in 1951)was originally scored by C.R.Subbaraman whom MSV was an assitant to. He has said in an interview how he enjoyed(and at the same time, feared in respect)teaching the tune to M.L.Vasanthakumari. My rendition is nowhere near hers but it is a sincere attempt to remind myself of the greatness of people like her whom I have had the good fortune of knowing about from my own grandparents.

My throat has suddenly dried up perhaps due to the onset of harsh winter but I have done my best to do justice to this song.


Remembering Bharathi... | Music Upload

No comments: